Travis County Texas Park Tech I / West District Parks (Part-time, Temporary, Seasonal - no benefits) in Austin, Texas
Provides Parks visitors and other customers with accurate information regarding parks and parks rules. Acts as a liaison with County parks customers, ensuring a smooth and efficient operation. Patrols and monitors visitor activity within parks, assisting in enforcing park rules and regulations. Provides customer service functions and fosters positive public relations. Some positions will staff a fee both, collect gate receipts, calculate change, distribute park permits and accurately record park fees within assigned parks. Assists with light park maintenance duties. Participates in park interpretive tours and programs. Open, or assist with, opening and closing the parks. May assist with medical emergencies and rescues.
DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS: This is an entry level position in the Park Maintenance classification. This classification may require a flexible work schedule in order to meet the needs of the department.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide visitors and other customers with accurate information regarding parks and parks rules. Provide customer service functions and foster positive public relations.
- Patrol and monitor visitor activity within parks, assisting in enforcing park rules and regulations. Report incidents, hazards, and violation of park rules.
- Some positions collect gate receipts, distribute permits and accurately record and safeguard park fees.
- Participate in park interpretive tours and programs.
- Performs traffic control within assigned park as needed.
- Assist with light maintenance duties as required, including restroom checks, spot clean as necessary, litter control within the parks and facility clean up and preparation. Some positions may perform additional maintenance duties as needed.
- Open, or assist with, opening and closing the parks
- Serve as a team member or independent worker on a variety of park projects or assignments.
- Assist with medical emergencies and rescues.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned. Minimum Requirements
Education and Experience:
High School diploma or G.E.D. AND a combination of one (1) year of park, cash handling or customer service experience;
Any combination of education and experience that has been achieved and is equivalent to the stated education and experience and required knowledge, skills, and abilities sufficient to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities of this job.
Licenses, Registrations, Certifications, or Special Requirements: Valid Texas Driver's License is required for some positions.
Preferred: Customer service experience. Bi-lingual in Spanish and English. First Aid or CPR or Texas Department of State Health Services Emergency Medical Technician.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Customer service.
- County parks locations and facilities.
- Policies, practices, procedures and terminology of assigned function.
- Travis County Park rules and parks procedures on standard operations within assigned park.
Some positions will require knowledge of Point of Sale (POS) system, cash handling, calculating change, and procedures of recordkeeping. Skill in:
Providing quality customer service in a courteous and professional manner.
- Resolving conflicts.
- Dealing with a wide variety of situations using sound judgment in a calm, courteous manner.
- Problem solving and decision making.
- Time management.
- Strong interpersonal communication.
- Some positions require skill in operating a Point of Sale (POS) system, handling cash, calculating change, and skill in recording fees.
Effective verbal and written communication. Ability to:
Organize, plan and prioritize.
- Perform multiple tasks.
- Communicate verbally and in writing, and exercise tact and courtesy.
- Resolve user group disputes.
- Be self-directed, self-motivated and work independently and as a team member to accomplish parks objectives.
- Perform multitasking with frequent interruptions.
- Some positions require ability to accurately complete and record cash transactions.
- Understand and carry out verbal and written instructions.
- Learn and accurately disseminate park information, rules and regulations.
- Maintain effective working relationships with the general public, departmental clientele, representatives of outside agencies, and other County employees and officials. Work Environment & Other Information
Physical requirements include the ability to lift/carry up to 20-50 pounds, visual acuity, speech and hearing, hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity. Subject to standing, walking, sitting, repetitive motion, reaching, climbing stairs, bending, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, pushing, pulling, balancing, reaching, twisting, client/customer contact, squatting to perform the essential functions. Subject to extreme temperatures, outside elements, noise, vibration, contact with dust, fumes and hazardous chemicals, foul odors, animal and human fecal matter, insects and rodents. Some positions require driving.
This job description is intended to be generic in nature. It is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The essential duties, functions and responsibilities and overtime eligibility may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the position.
Must be willing to work outside in extreme temperatures and walk/hike on rough terrain on a daily basis.
This position does not include benefits.
Work Hours: Hours may vary. Works some holidays, nights and weekends
5 positions available
Department: Transportation & Natural Resources
Location: Travis County West District Parks
Criminal and Employment Background Check Required.
Salary: $13.00 Hourly
Location: Austin, TX
Job Type: Part Time
Department: TNR (Trans & Natrl Resrc)
Job Number: 18-04269
Closing: 3/30/2018 11:59 PM Central
Agency: Travis County
Address: 700 Lavaca Street, Suite 420 Austin, Texas, 78701