University of North Texas Database Administrator I in Denton, Texas
IT Shared Services (ITSS) is part of the Finance Division of The University of North Texas System. The mission of ITSS is simple: to be the best at delivering customer-aligned IT solutions and services. Our services are provided to all member institutions using an IT shared services governance model.
IT Shared Services provides the primary technology used by all campuses to support their operations. These include: shared resources of data centers, computing hardware, software applications, network and voice communications, collaboration and productivity capabilities, central web services, risk management, and security and compliance services. As a department, we strive to provide the most professional personnel possible to serve our campus constituents.
The University of North Texas System is a state employer offering great benefits, including medical, dental, life, retirement, ample paid time off, and great work/life balance.
The IT Shared Services Department at the University of North Texas System is seeking to hire a Database Administrator I to join their team. This position performs entry-level to routine (journey-level) database administration work. Work involves providing assistance in the planning, development, maintenance, and monitoring of integrated database systems; assisting with the development of database policies and procedures; and maintaining data integrity. Works under moderate supervision, with limited latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
Responsibilities of the position include but are not limited to:
- Experience in database administration related work for Oracle, MSSQL, MySQL
- Experience in performance tuning for database systems (SQL Statement/Instance/System level)
- Experience in PeopleSoft applications architectures and processes
- Experience in database backup and recovery technologies, tools and processes
- Experience in High-Availability tools (Oracle Dataguard; MSSQL HA clusters/mirroring)
- Strong desire and demonstration of service-oriented customer skills
- Experience in monitoring and management tools for database administration (i.e. Oracle CloudControl; zabbix; Idera SQL Server toolset).
- Experience in ETL technology (SSIS, Attunity)
- Experience in Big Data technologies (HDFS, Hortonworks HDP)
- Experience in SAS technologies (SAS Visual Analytics, Data Integration Studio, Business Data Network, DataFlux, SAS Coding)
- Experience in Data Warehousing architectures and concepts
- Experience in Data Modeling
- Experience in Data Science and Analytics
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
The successful candidate will possess the following required qualifications:
Bachelor's degree with coursework in computing or information systems and three years of related computer programming experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of the methods and equipment used in electronic data processing, including system analysis and design, and computer programming techniques.
- Strong skill in writing programs for computer applications.
- Ability to analyze problems and develop solutions.
- Ability to perform detailed work accurately.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to communicate clearly, succinctly and effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Knowledge of safe working procedures related to work performed.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
- Experience in Oracle Database Administration work or SQL Server Administration work.
Requisition Number: 153799
Job Title: Database Administrator I
Official Title: Database Administrator I
Position Number: 00001473
Department: IT Shared Services - 925000
Is this an internal posting only?: No
Is this a security sensitive position?: Yes
Driving a University Vehicle?: No
Job Open Date: 04-06-2018
Job Close Date: Open Until Filled
Pay Rate: Salary commensurate with experience
Pay Basis: Monthly
Job Type: Full-time Permanent
Quicklink for Posting: jobs.unt.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=64627
Work Schedule: 9-5 generally
Special Instructions to Applicants: Applicants must submit a resume, a cover letter and a list of three professional references with their online application.